Associate Professor of Mathematics
Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but
supreme beauty -- a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without
appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting
or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only
the greatest art can show. The true spirit of delight, the exaltation, the sense
of being more than Man, which is the touchstone of the highest excellence, is
to be found in mathematics as surely as poetry. -- Bertrand Russell
- Office: MCT 286
- Phone: (717) 477-1592
- Email: email@example.com
- Spring 2017 Office Hours:
- M 11-12, T 1:30-2:30, W 3-4, R 10-12
YouTube Educational Videos
- Hamblin, J.; Bryant, L. (2016) The graphical order of a numerical semigroup. Submitted for publication.
- Hamblin, J.; Bryant, L. (2014) Position vectors of numerical semigroups. Semigroup Forum doi:10.1007/s00233-014-9620-1
- Hamblin, J.; McInvale, D. (2014) Could the Patriots have won Super Bowl XLVI? Math Horizons 21(3), 26-29. http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.4169/mathhorizons.21.3.26
- Hamblin, J.; Bryant, L. (2013) The maximal denumerant of a numerical semigroup. Semigroup Forum 86(3), 571-582.
- My textbook Math for Liberal Studies, 3rd Edition, was published in 2014.
Other Recent Activities
- I am serving as the Interim Mathematics Department Chairperson for the Spring 2017 semester.
- I completed a sabbatical project in Fall 2016, wherein I wrote a textbook for College Algebra.
- In September 2016, I spoke at the Allegheny Mountain Project NExT section meeting on The Mathematics of Voting.
- I served as the faculty co-chair for the General Education Council, 2011-13.