Classes for Spring 2013
MAT 225 Discrete Math (Please visit the course website)
MAT 105 Math For Liberal Studies (You must be registered for the course to gain access to the website)
My research interests are in commutative algebra. Here is a list of my publications.
- Goto Numbers of a Numerical Semigroup Ring and the Gorensteiness of Associated Graded Rings, Communications in Algebra, 35 (2010), no. 6, 2092-2128.
- A Variation on the Money-Changing Problem (with James Hamblin and Lenny Jones), American
Mathematical Monthly, 119 (2012), no. 5, 406-414.
- Maximal Denumerant of a Numerical Semigroup with Embedding Dimension Less Than Four
(with James Hamblin and Lenny Jones), to appear in Journal of Commutative Algebra.
- The Maximal Denumerant of a Numerical Semigroup (with James Hamblin), Semigroup Forum,
(2012), DOI 10.1007/s00233-012-9448-5.
- Knots, Molecules, and the Universe: An Introduction to Topology (with Erica Flapan et. al.), in preparation.
- Pseudo-Canonical Ideals in Numerical Semigroups (with James Hamblin), in preparation
Recent and Upcoming Talks
- Jan. 2013 University of Rome 1 (Visiting Scholar). The Maximal Denumerant of a Numerical Semigroup.
- Oct. 2012 Shippensburg U. (Math Seminar Series). Developing Your 4-D Spatial Visualization Skills.
- Jun. 2012 Vila Real, Portugal (Iberian Meeting on Numerical Semigroups). Filtrations in One-Dimensional Analytically Irreducible Noetherian Local Domains.
- Jan. 2011 New Orleans, LA (Joint Math Meetings). Unique Maximal-Length Factorization in Numerical Semigroups.
- Nov. 2010 Harrisburg, PA (Pennsylvania Coucil of Teachers of Mathematics Annual Conference). Jobs, Family, Budgets, and Taxes!
- Apr. 2010 CUNY Graduate Center (Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry Seminar). Numerical Semigroups and One-Dimensional Rings.
- Mar. 2010 Gettysburg College (Math Seminar Series). Sums of Squares and Unique Factorization.
Some Current Activities
- Vice Chair of the EPaDel section of MAA.
- Reviewer for Zentralblatt Math.
- Chair of the General Education Council Ad-Hoc Capstone Committee
- Member of the New Student Orientation Advisory Committee
- SU Math Department Webmaster
- SU Math Seminar Organizer
- Co-organizer (with my wife, Sarah Bryant) of the SU Annual
Math/Computer Day (invites 50 high schools to compete in math and
computer science events)
The National Science Foundation
I was a fellow for the NSF GK-12 program from 2005-2006. As a
visiting scientist at a local middle school, I designed and taught
inquiry-based lessons along with math and science teachers. The
following lessons plans are available on the Purdue GK-12
Ciphers: An Introduction to Cryptography
Financial Lesson Plan
program at Purdue